Free Store: Vision and Mission
To be an affirming community that reflects the diversity of God's people and is built on authentic love
To build relationships and transform lives on the Eastside of Kalamazoo
-as agents of change for a just, peaceful and loving world
-by sharing God's love and grace freely and abundantly with all people
1. God gives enough for all to be shared by all.
2. God's love is freely given to all.
3. All people are welcome.
4. Diversity is necessary to experience the fullness of God and community.
5. All people are deserving of respect.
6. Relationship requires mutual partnership.
7. Life is all about friendship with God, friendship with others and friendship with nature.
(adapted from Manna and Mercy by Daniel Erlander)
*To provide free clothing (primarily) and other household items to community members, to help individuals care for their basic needs and free up funding to support other needs which are not addressed through items available. We expect to see at least 1000 community members shop in the Free Store in the first year.
*To build relationships with our neighbors through the free store by engaging in radical hospitality by offering clothing and coffee free to all as well as inviting individuals to participate in our worshiping community and creating new experiences (worship, study, etc) that can meet the needs of those who use the Free Store. We will also expect to see at least one new ministry emerge from the Free Store as community needs and desires are better understood in these relationships.