A policy of Sunnyside United Methodist Church regarding our commitment To Antiracism and the full inclusion of LGBTQIA+ persons.
The following policies, which have been written and approved by the Leadership Board of Sunnyside United Methodist Church are a response to the recognition that God is love and therefore all are born in love by love and for love. Sunnyside United Methodist Church will work to resist evil, oppression and injustice in all the forms they present themselves including but not limited to the injustice caused by racism, exclusion and oppression of our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, & Asexual/Aromantic siblings.
1. The people of Sunnyside United Methodist Church have not yet attained, but are moving towards wholeness by God’s sanctifying and perfecting grace to claim an anti-biased, anti-racist and anti-oppressive identity;
2. In response to God’s Grace we affirm and include our LGBTQIA+ siblings in all areas of ministry including weddings, and recommendation as candidates for ordained ministry.
3. As stewards of God’s Grace the facilities of Sunnyside United Methodist Church are open to use for same-gender weddings. All clergy, including the pastors appointed to and directly hired by Sunnyside United Methodist Church are supported in performing same-gender weddings at Sunnyside or elsewhere;
4. In trust of God’s Grace the congregation of Sunnyside United Methodist Church is willing to receive a pastor who identifies as LGBTQIA+, as well as pastors of any racial or cultural background.
5. It is recommended that future generations of the faith community at Sunnyside United Methodist Church uphold and continue to be an inclusive church, pursuing social justice through inclusion of people of any ethnic background, race, sexual identity or gender expression in its facilities and areas of ministry.